14 September 2008 


Maritzburg United beat Kaizer Chiefs 3-2 at Durban's Chatsworth Stadium yesterday.

Chiefs scored the first goal in the 6th minute by the 23-year-old Bulu after receiving an excellent through ball by Gert Schalkwyk from the midfield line.

After the goal, Maritzburg first chance arrived in the 19th minute when Lucky Maselesele nearly scored against his former club from close range.

Valery Nahayo should have scored his first Premiership goal from close range in the 33rd minute with only the Maritzburg goalkeeper Hunter Gilstrip to beat. Instead, the Burundian's attempt hit the crossbar.

Bulu got another chance after a cross from the left by Onismor Bhasera, but the striker directed the shot over the top. Chiefs wasted yet another chance when Bulu's pass from inside the box to Schalkwyk was followed by a lazy shot on goal.

Swaziland international Tony Tsabedze's shot into the left corner was nicely parried by Khune for a corner close to half-time. Accordingly, Sipho Mngomezulu received the ball from the corner just outside the left side of the box. His powerful shot was badly handled by Khune, who, instead of pushing the ball with his fist over the bar, punched the ball into his own goal, 1-1.

Chiefs were still recovering from their late first half shock when another setback arrived. Maritzburg's Fadlu Davids delivered a cross from the left into the box, where Brice Aka easily lost his marker Nahayo, before shooting the ball past Khune in the 48th minute, 2-1. Barely eight minutes later Bulu missed his opportunity to score the equalizer.

In the 69th minute, Maritzburg defender Gary Goldstone received a yellow card after colliding with Chiefs striker Bulu. The game had to be stopped for several minutes to treat Bulu, who looked to have broken his nose.

After the restart, Jonathan Quartey scored from close range for Chiefs following the free kick. But the excitement was not finished as Fadlu Davids scored 3-2 from a cross by Mngomezulu in the 85th minute.

Ebrahim awarded a penalty to Chiefs after Mathebula seemed to be brought down by Tico-Tico Bucuane. However, Amakhosi defender Quartey's penalty was well saved by keeper Gilstrip.

Maritzburg United (1) 3 (Mngomezulu 45', Aka 48', Davids 85')
Kaizer Chiefs (1) 2 (Bulu 6', Quartey 74')